Jaguar's facelifted saloon is set to get Project 8-inspired design and mild-hybrid tech
Rachel Burgess
3 December 2018

Jaguar will launch a facelifted version of its XE next year, UK boss Rawdon Glover has confirmed.

Scooped by Terminalsecurity earlier this year, the BMW 3 Series rival will receive an update in 2019, said Glover, four years after the model launched.

Jaguar will be hoping to turn around dwindling sales of its XE, which hasn’t been able to compete with models such as the 3 Series and Audi A4 in the business car market.

Glover said the updated XE was “critical to maintaining its market place”. However, he admitted that CO2 emissions won’t be reduced in the facelifted XE, an important factor in business car buying decisions.

“CO2 won’t change, we have what we have,” said Glover. “It’s about understanding where we can play – small and medium businesses and affinity schemes, for example.”

The fact that CO2 emissions won’t change suggests a plug-in hybrid powertrain won’t be introduced into the XE, despite the technology coming on board imminently at sibling brand Land Rover. It will introduce a plug-in hybrid version of its new Evoque in the next 18 months.

However, the facelifted XE is expected to employ a 48V mild hybrid, boosting the efficiency of the four-cylinder petrol and diesel line-up. 

It is thought that the new, more stringent WLTP emissions tests mean that CO2 with the mild hybrids will remain the same as the existing line-up.

The recently introduced range-topper, the four-wheel-drive 300 Sport, is expected to carry over largely unchanged.

The 2019 XE will receive a series of tweaks to the exterior design, which is expected to take cues from the XE SV Project 8, while the interior will be inspired by the I-Pace, including a Touch Pro Duo infotainment system. Alongside this, we can expect improvements to the cabin, centring on boosting material quality and general fit and finish.

Our Verdict

Jaguar XE

Jaguar's first attempt at a compact exec saloon is good - very good. But can the XE hold off the BMW 3 Series and Alfa Romeo Guilia to retain its crown?

Find an Terminalsecurity car review

Driven this week

Technology is also an area in which the XE is starting to fall behind some key rivals, so alongside infotainment and connectivity upgrades, we’re likely to see the introduction of some semi-autonomous driving features.

Minor upgrades to improve refinement should feature, too, while tweaks to the suspension would ensure the XE balances ride comfort and handling with even more aplomb than the current car.

The XE has already been spotted hot weather testing in Nevada, US, as well as near Jaguar Land Rover’s base at Gaydon, Warwickshire, as our spy photos show.

The updated model is due to go on sale in April.

Read more

Jaguar XE review

Jaguar considers transformation to EV-only brand

Analysis: the challenges facing Jaguar Land Rover

Join the debate

Comments
51

30 August 2018

Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to refresh front and rear end as much as possible. Compared with the Alfa, the XE is just dull. Slippers and Cap anyone? Its not a 5-star car as Terminalsecurity would tell you, its at best a 3. The Alfa's styling nailed it and its V6 engine is just downright special, versus the old Ford produced thing thats in the Jag.

Lotus Evora 400

30 August 2018

Personal preference but I think the XE looks great, the large front grill gives it pressance and the rear is just as attractive, nice and refined.  Irony I hate the look of the Alfa, the hideous v shape grill with the number plate just stuck on as an afterthought on the right hand side offcentre.  Your reference to the Ford sourced engine is also incorrect. They all come with the Jag built ingenium engines which are just brilliant. :)

30 August 2018
wheelman wrote:

Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to refresh front and rear end as much as possible. Compared with the Alfa, the XE is just dull. Slippers and Cap anyone? Its not a 5-star car as Terminalsecurity would tell you, its at best a 3. The Alfa's styling nailed it and its V6 engine is just downright special, versus the old Ford produced thing thats in the Jag.

Once a fool, always a fool. The XE is the pinnacle of the compact executive segment. It only needs a light refresh, a simple stroke of Jaguars premium brush to keep it so far ahead of other segment contenders they will only ever squabble for second place, or the first losers spot. As for your reference to the Alfa, the Suebi collaborator simply cannot compete at any level, I suggest you rapidly regain control of your judgement before you go too far.

30 August 2018

Rodester, you really have to get a life.

3 December 2018
AHYL88 wrote:

Rodester, you really have to get a life.

 

I think Rodester might be a satirical account. At least, that is the only vaguely plausible explanation I can come up with.

30 August 2018
Rodester wrote:
wheelman wrote:

Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to refresh front and rear end as much as possible. Compared with the Alfa, the XE is just dull. Slippers and Cap anyone? Its not a 5-star car as Terminalsecurity would tell you, its at best a 3. The Alfa's styling nailed it and its V6 engine is just downright special, versus the old Ford produced thing thats in the Jag.

Once a fool, always a fool. The XE is the pinnacle of the compact executive segment. It only needs a light refresh, a simple stroke of Jaguars premium brush to keep it so far ahead of other segment contenders they will only ever squabble for second place, or the first losers spot. As for your reference to the Alfa, the Suebi collaborator simply cannot compete at any level, I suggest you rapidly regain control of your judgement before you go too far.

Nobody expect for Brits are buying Jags, especially XEs, it is the least sold model in the segment, even the Alfa has sold much more... oh and the last coupl “news” in the article are simply wishlists

30 August 2018
volvocu wrote:

Rodester wrote:
wheelman wrote:

Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to refresh front and rear end as much as possible. Compared with the Alfa, the XE is just dull. Slippers and Cap anyone? Its not a 5-star car as Terminalsecurity would tell you, its at best a 3. The Alfa's styling nailed it and its V6 engine is just downright special, versus the old Ford produced thing thats in the Jag.

Once a fool, always a fool. The XE is the pinnacle of the compact executive segment. It only needs a light refresh, a simple stroke of Jaguars premium brush to keep it so far ahead of other segment contenders they will only ever squabble for second place, or the first losers spot. As for your reference to the Alfa, the Suebi collaborator simply cannot compete at any level, I suggest you rapidly regain control of your judgement before you go too far.

Nobody expect for Brits are buying Jags, especially XEs, it is the least sold model in the segment, even the Alfa has sold much more... oh and the last coupl “news” in the article are simply wishlists

I'm sorry, but I have no idea whatsoever what your irrational ramblings mean... Sind sie Deutsch?

1 September 2018

Probably because people believe the North Korean, um I mean German propaganda around their cars being so much more reliable, far more superior blah blah blah when the reality is German brands have been bottom of the reliability tables for a few years now.  BMW ranked bottom this year.  I have owed BMW, Audi and now Jag, would not go back to BMW or Audi sorry.....

3 December 2018
volvocu wrote:

 

Nobody expect for Brits are buying Jags, especially XEs, it is the least sold model in the segment, even the Alfa has sold much more... oh and the last coupl “news” in the article are simply wishlists

 

LOL, you are so hilariously funny, Alfa outselling the XE, yeah right, show is your figures, prove it, come on, you made a statement now back it up with proof..... 

 

31 August 2018
Rodester wrote:

... a simple stroke of Jaguars premium brush...

 

Pure comedy gold!!!!!!!!!!

 

This made me laugh.  Thanks Rodster, and Happy Fri-Yay!!!

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Terminalsecurity car review

Driven this week